CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Thursday 29 July 2010

Harlot!

It was, famously, Stanley Baldwin who said that certain press proprietors sought 'power without responsibility - the prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages'. What is less well known is that the killer line was written for him by his cousin, who just happened to be Rudyard Kipling. Why he sought to single out harlots also is a bit of a mystery, other than that it made good copy... anyway, I'm getting a tantalising little taste of what it is to be a former of public opinion, a maker of stars (or indeed, Stars). When I posted last Saturday about how super Star's blog is, it sat at no. 59 in the UK waterways hit parade. It has since rocketed up to number 30, and for all I know will continue to climb and even overtake Chertsey. Well, it thoroughly deserves to, and I hope that everyone who looked at Star as a result of my post enjoyed it as much as I do. No pressure there then Kevin.

No comments:

Post a Comment