CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Thursday 17 May 2012

And now for the leaves...

More mystery foliage coming up - I'm relying on you to tell me what these plants are (and the flowers in yesterday's post).

I'll not post photos of the leafy things I have identified, which include dock, (common?) thistle, stinging nettle and blackberry bramble. But what about these?

10.

11.

12.

13. I've a suspicion this may be rose bay willow herb...

14.

15. The sticky one.

8 comments:

  1. The last one is the only one I can positively identify - it's cleavers/goosegrass. The young leaves are good in salads or wilted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 11 is silverweed, 13 could well be RBW, and 15 is goose grass. Could 14 be wild celery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to have great fun as kids trying to get a bit of goosegrass to stick to other people's clothes without them noticing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think 10 may be spear thistle, 11 silverweed, 12 could be young hogweed (can't see if stems are hairy?), 13 i agree it's probably one of the willow-herbs, 14 looks like the watercress i ate last year (if it flowers at the top, i think), 15 is goosegrass, cleavers or my favourite name, sticky willy.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! I always knew it as sticky willy too but I didn't like to say in case it was just me.

    Thanks to everyone... I will keep you updated as they grow and flower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only one which I am familar is Cleavers. it is found in great quantities anywhere cheesemaking was carried on before the use of commercial clabbers made of calves intestines. Cleavers added to wamed milk will cause it seperate into curds and whey--the beginning of making cheese, and many vegans still use it this way. It is also good to clean kidney stones form the urinary tract; It stimulates the lymph system to drain away toxins and waste; it is an alterative and blood purifier; It is great for treating Exczema, psoriasis, and arthritis, and also as an alternative treatment for cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No. 15 is known in our family as "stick weed". I'd not heard of "goosegrass" before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi jaqueline, sorry to be pedantic but we vegans don't eat cheese :-)
    However, I do sometimes eat cleavers, early in the year, finely chopped in a stir-fry and agree it has lots of good qualities.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete